Saturday, August 14, 2010

Walking with Superman: By the Numbers

I did a bit of planning for the "Walking with Superman" feature today, and I thought it might make an interesting, quick post to show where the series is and where it's going. So, a few brief facts:
  • I've written a total of forty-one posts for the series so far. I'm trying to stay at least two weeks ahead, and there are three posts in addition, scheduled for the more distant future. Right now, the post that's scheduled farthest in the future will show up on (about) March 8, 2011.
  • This means I've written a little over 1/10 of the entire series.
  • I've either written or planned posts for thirty-one states so far.
  • On average, Superman will have seven adventures in each state. This won't be entirely accurate, since some adventures take place in non-state areas, like the Gulf of Mexico and the District of Columbia. I haven't yet decided if there'll be any adventures in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or any other non-state territories.
  • If I make it through the whole series as I've planned, it would be the equivalent of 365 issues of a Superman comic. Released monthly, this series would last 30 years and 5 months. If appearing in both Superman and Action Comics, thus coming out biweekly, the whole series could be released in a mere fifteen years, two months, and two weeks. If I were writing this in the late '90s, when "Adventures of Superman" and "Superman: The Man of Steel" were still being published, this series would last 7 years, 7 months, and 1 week. At the height of Superman publication, when the quarterly "Superman: The Man of Tomorrow" was being released, it'd be just 7 years and 1 week.

    So, the reasons for not doing this whole series as I've pitched it are pretty obvious. Even if it were weekly, it'd take seven years.
  • I would gladly write Superman for the next thirty years.
  • I have a philosophy behind this series, which I'll talk about in more detail in the 366th post.
  • The last time I wrote a post that wasn't about Superman was July 30th, 15 days ago. I do feel bad that this has become the all-Superman blog, but I'm posting more and having more fun doing it than in quite some time. I do have some things to say about Scott Pilgrim, so there's that coming up.
  • I feel a little worse that my more academic "Superman Sunday" series has suffered in recent weeks. I plan to have another post in that series ready for tomorrow, hopefully closing out the Lowther novel. I recently found out about another origin, so that might be the next piece.
  • That last bullet wasn't actually about "Walking with Superman."

That's the state of the union so far. I'm excited about this series, and I'm percolating with ideas (true fact: so far, I haven't used a single one of the pitches and story ideas that I've saved up in case I ever actually get to write Superman--not that I wouldn't use some of these, too). I don't know if I'll manage to get through 365 without repeating myself, but I think there's enough places and interesting things in this fair country to easily support that many stories.

So here's to the next...what is it, 341 days? Awesome.

No comments: