Sunday, March 08, 2009

Smiley Face or Frowny Face?

My feelings about the "Watchmen" movie have vacillated since its announcement. I'd been saying for years that the book couldn't be filmed as anything less than a miniseries, and even then it would probably suck, so my initial impression was negative. The costume designs didn't improve my disposition, but the trailers actually made me think it could be good. I was all excited to go and see it, just as soon as I finished the book again.

But now the reviews are trickling in (and I'm not reading much of them, because I want to avoid spoilers, such as they are), and I'm torn. On one hand, there's PZ Myers, who I generally agree with, who really seemed to like it. I didn't read past the fold of his post, but it seems pretty positive overall.

On the other hand, there's my best friend and supplier, who didn't like it. I haven't read the whole post, but hearing the jist of his response has me worried. Eric and I don't always see eye-to-eye on comic book movies ("X-Men 2" and "Sin City" being particular points of disagreement), but he's traditionally been more forgiving with Alan Moore adaptations than I have--by which I mean he liked "V for Vendetta." So if he didn't like "Watchmen," then I suspect that I'm really not going to like "Watchmen."

So now, instead of excitement, I'm going to be watching the movie with hopeful trepidation. Maybe that means I'll like it more--my expectations are a little lower, so maybe this will have an easier time meeting them.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, hopefully later today. Naturally, you'll find out shortly after.

No comments: