Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Partly Real

You know, every other damn '80s cartoon has a huge cult following. ThunderCats is out on (horrendously overpriced) DVD sets, the He-Man (and friends) boxes have set a new standard for cartoon releases on DVD, Transformers keeps on truckin' with a new movie and oodles of new toys (though I wish someone would get around to re-releasing the box sets, I only managed to get the first two), even Captain N: The Game Master managed to get the neo-laserdisk treatment.

So where the heck are the SilverHawks?

Yeah, it was "ThunderCats in space," with even the same voice cast. Yeah, the physics were all sorts of nutty. But it was a fun show with a killer theme song, and every episode would take time out at the end--not for a cheesy moral--but to teach science. And I can't argue with that.

Incidentally, I can think of only one cartoon of that era with a better theme song...

Ah YouTube. Thank you for providing me easy content.

5 comments:

Diamondrock said...

Oh man... That's some good stuff. I think I had a Silverhawks lunch box back in the day. But I don't remember EVER seeing the show. Was it as cool as that opening makes it seem?

Oh, and MASK is primed for a comeback. That's just the sort of crazy thing that could fly in this day and age...

SallyP said...

Naaw, Galaxy Rangers was better than ALL of them. Too bad there were never any toys.

Will Staples said...

I'd never heard of Silverhawks until this moment. It looks like Science Ninja Team Gatchaman with better animation crossed with Thundercats without the unnerving furry undertones.

And geez, up until the title at the end I thought it was "Math Crusaders!"

Vaklam said...

Oh, man! I'd nearly forgotten about MASK!

Rifter fire! Hee hee.

The Doc said...

I have said for years now that there needs to be a Silverhawks revival, with all the other 80s properties you mentioned making comebacks. I even think there should be a Silverhawks live-action movie, with Lyle Lovett as Bluegrass. I would pay a lot of money to see that. Like, twenty bucks.